Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Fruits of Labor!

So I think its funny and also embarrassing that I have all this stuff popping up but it is just a culmination of a lot of hard work done over the past three years.

So my good news for today is that a piece I choreographed last semester has been selected to represent our program, meaning the BYU dance program, at ACDF.

ACDF stands for the American College Dance Festival. This particular conference is the north western regional conference. The Dancers' Company will take three pieces to show during the course of the conference. One faculty adjudicated piece, one student adjudicated piece (that's mine) and one piece to be shown in an informal showing.

I am so so so honored to have had my piece chosen and excited to see what happens. From the two adjudicated concerts(judges watch and score the pieces) at this regional conference they choose one piece student and one faculty work to go on to the national ACDF conference.

Well here's to hoping!!! But I won't keep my hopes up. It's so awesome for me that I am able to have my piece shown in this prestigious venue/conference just thought I let you all know. I feel like a pompous arrogant little terd-face! But I still am telling you all.

Love you all, hope every one is having an excellent February!

And this is a link to a youtube video I created of the piece. It is just a rough draft but is still fun to watch!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPUzvepyHcY

4 comments:

Abby said...

ooh you are a rock star!! Can I say I knew you when??
Congratulations!!!

Daphne said...

Whoa! That's awesome aaron. I think you should make good on an earlier suggestion of your own and change the name of your blog to Aaron's Brag. You deserve it. Srsly.

Good luck!

Daphne said...

I just watched the video and even though I have little dance experience (read: i took lessons as a kid and now dance more like Elaine from Seinfeld) I thought I would share my thoughts.

It was a really fun piece to watch and I didn't get bored. Not once. It stays on the right side of the line between visually interesting and just plain chaos. I appreciated the change in tempo and energy both in the movement and in the music. I've seen pieces before that just kind of slumped along and other pieces that seemed to want to give my eyes a workout and with music to make my ears bleed.

The lift at 2:20 looked cool and isn't something I've seen before. Is it corny to say the piece embodies youthful exuberance? I'm saying it.

Nice work! Thanks for the visual feast.

p.s. I'd love to know the story behind your creation.

p.p.s. when i read "Fruits of Labor," i thought of those guys dressed as fruit for Fruit of the Loom...and also the Village People.

you're welcome.

cari said...

Well now and I know why I got absolutely NO creativity...it was all being saved up for you!! It is so impressive that you can come up with all those moves...that whole entire dance. Way to go Aaron. I can't wait to see one of your perfmances someday--LIVE!!